Monday, June 24, 2013

Racing up the mango tree!


6/23/13

            After a tiring week of research, Jim and I took the day a little bit easier and did some work in our host family’s garden. For you Americans, a Ugandan garden is around 6 acres and used to harvest bananas, cassava, and mangoes, amongst other plants…definitely not your small plot in the backyard for a tomato or two. Our host family seemed to be extremely amused by their guests wanting to work in the garden. They insisted on setting up as many photo ops as possible in order to get the best “snaps” of their new sons working.
            While I did many new things, none was more invigorating than the mighty climb to the top of the mango tree. My other lonely American partner here, Jim Ley, had been telling me for weeks about crossing this task off of his bucket list. As soon as we saw the tree, it was a race to the top…but instead of victory, all I found was a colony of angry ants willing to each my skin for the mangoes. Nonetheless, we made it back home safe with pockets (and stomachs) full of fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment