Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Travel day....woof


So after a longggg day of travel, I’ve arrived in Kampala! The trip started off on a not so great note (or notes, I should say). First, I found my way to the wrong terminal at O’Hare in Chicago. Second, the baggage check process took way longer than expected. This led me to the third: I had 45 minutes to make it through security and catch my flight to Amsterdam before it left. Luckily, 44 minutes and a gallon of sweat later, I turned around and watched the plane’s door close upon my entrance. I think I may have cut it a little too close.

The next part in my journey was the 4-hour layover in Amsterdam. I found my way to a comfy spot to post up and try not to look like too much of a lonely traveller. Naturally, I took the opportunity to people watch. I don’t know why I thought that was a good idea, because in the process I got countless blank stares from people who didn’t speak my language. However, I’m pretty sure the feeling of awkwardness is universal, and all those lucky people got to share the sentiment with me. While there I took an hour-long poll and confidently concluded that I was the only person in shorts. Apparently the norm with travelling in Europe is to swag out in your nicest clothes. Either that or the American travel standard of sweats is just a little too casual for the airport. I think it may be the latter.

Anyways, it was a crazy day of travel but I have arrived to one of the most beautiful places in the world. Even though it had only been a year, I think I came to forget about just how kind the people are here. There is no face that greets you without a smile. No person who just passes by with a casual “hello.” Kindness and hospitality are two words that Ugandans have come to perfect, and the presence of these two has made me yet again feel at home. Next step is to wake up tomorrow morning and talk with the Drake students about the past few weeks in which they’ve had the time of their lives!

Stay tuned for more updates (and maybe a few adventure stories)!

Food for thought of the day:
  •  If seedless grapes have no seeds, where do they come from?

...the question that has had my sleep-deprived brain eating itself

No comments:

Post a Comment